"We fight her desperately to no end... we do not know any way to kill her, only seal her away temporarily with the Gem of Eternity. But she always gets free after a few decades... After being forgotten..."
The Forgotten is the main antagonist of the GemCraft series. She is an archdemon that was summoned accidentally during a botched ritual (this is explored in Gemcraft Chasing Shadows). There is no known way to destroy her or banish her back to the Demon Realm; even the Gem of Eternity can only seal her away.
She was released from her prison during Chapter 0 by a powerful, greedy, corrupt, and possibly stupid wizard. Then in Chapter 1, another wizard, fresh out of wizard's school, goes to take on the twisted wizard, finds the whole adventure quite easy, but is then possessed by the Forgotten. He would only be free of her possession as soon as he reaches the Scythe Gate in Chapter 2. The events of Chapter 2 reveal that this was the wizard's plan all along: to lure her to possess him, and break free of her possession while on the way to the Spiritforge.
Meanwhile, in the Labyrinth, another wizard is actually doing something productive: creating another Gem of Eternity, and taking out the Forgotten's highest generals, the shadows, in spite of their tremendous power. During the Labyrinth episode, it is hinted that killing the shadows can greatly weaken their queen - not enough to kill her, but enough to slow her down for a capture. In the Labyrinth, she freed a very powerful shadow to guard the crafting pylons, which can be used to create a new Gem of Eternity. The bearer of that Gem, however, would die at the hands of the Forgotten, who would then seize the Gem for herself... only to drop it when the Spiritforge is finally opened.
Appearance and abilitiesEditShe is described as a fully black female torso with disfigured arms, a head with long hair and no face. All her body seems to be made of a large amount of dark tendrils.
She is also called the Shadow Queen during Gemcraft Labyrinth. The Forgotten is referred to as an arch-demon, and as such is an incredibly powerful being.
Her powers include (but are not limited to):
- Draining of the possessed "Host" to kill them (performed in Gemcraft 1 to the magician from Gemcraft Chapter 0)
- The ability to create and destroy monsters (in Gemcraft Chasing Shadows it actually states that "they are like her blood drops").
- The ability to create Avatars (Shadows and Spires). She relies on them to stay strong, and only creates a handful of them. Her main goal is to assault and corrupt the Spiritforge, to create an infinite number of Shadows, in order to become omnipotent.
- Killing a Shadow requires a massive effort, so the preferred way to deal with them was simply to lock them away, but she personally started to free them.
- The ability to corrupt gems (even the Gem Of Eternity).
- GC2: Enrage wavestones.
- GC2: Blacken the UI. In this state, the player's UI is completely black, allowing visibility for only the battlefield, the gamespeed is unchangeable, and no ingame action can be taken at all. The effect lasts for about 1 wavelength.
Despite her power, however, she is not powerful enough to destroy the Spiritforge's shield. It means that she does have a limit, and must rely on a plan to destroy the Spiritforge's shield.
After beating either field X5 or Y6 in GC2, she will no longer directly interfere with battles (with the exception of some Vision Fields).